ACUI Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Seeking Ideas for Celebrating Coming Out Day

Posted 07-05-2022 08:55

YSU Student Activities, Kilcawley Center and campus partners are in the process of brainstorming ideas to celebrate National Coming Out Day. Would anyone be interested in sharing program ideas that have been successful for your organization?

Kathy Leeper 

Associate Director 

Kilcawley Center Student Union 

One University Plaza 

Youngstown State University 

Youngstown, OH 44555 

• 2.  RE: Seeking Ideas for Celebrating Coming Out Day

Posted 07-06-2022 09:23
    Good Morning Kathy, 

I pray that this email finds you well. My name is Desmond Dunklin, and I am the Coordinator of University Programs at the University of South Alabama. My university is currently in the process of planning our Fall 2022 Week of Welcome (WOW). During this first week of school, we host several events on campus that affords students the opportunity to see what the campus has to offer, but to all afford them a chance to get involved on campus One of the events that we are kicking off the semester with is Drag Bingo. Our normal bingo nights are very popular during the academic school year. We usually do one event in the Fall and one in the Spring with an average attendance of about 350 students. Well this Fall, we are partnered with the LGBTQ+  organization Spectrum on campus  to host a Drag Bingo Night. We have contacted three drag queen for the local gay bars in Mobile, AL to host our Bingo Night while also performing as Female Impersoantors. Students have the chance to win prizes, while being entertained by Drag Queens, and they are also afforded the chance to meet with Spectrum and learn more about the LGBTQ+ organization on campus. 

I hope that this information was helpful to you. If you want more information on this event, please do not hesitate to contact me. 

Best 
    Desmond.  
    Desmond Dunklin, M.Ed.
    Coordinator of University Programs
    Student Center 

"Your playing small does not serve the world. Who are you not to be great"
    -Nelson Mandela 

• 3.  RE: Seeking Ideas for Celebrating Coming Out Day

Posted 07-07-2022 08:38
    Desmond, thank you so much. Sounds like a great time! I appreciate your sharing this great idea. 
    Kathy

------------------------------
    Kathleen Leeper
    Associate Director, Kilcawley Center
    Youngstown OH

• 4.  RE: Seeking Ideas for Celebrating Coming Out Day

Posted 07-06-2022 14:41
    We have had in-person and virtual drag queen shows and BINGO with artists from RPDR (and locally). We have primarily used Reel Management for these contracts. More than happy to go more in-depth, if interested!

Brandon Shamoun
    Assistant Director of Student Involvement
    Wayne State University
    Detroit MI

• 5.  RE: Seeking Ideas for Celebrating Coming Out Day

Posted 07-07-2022 08:39
    Brandon, thank you for the post. Love it!

Kathleen Leeper
    Youngstown OH

• 6.  RE: Seeking Ideas for Celebrating Coming Out Day

Posted 07-07-2022 10:31
    Hi Kathy,
    At Central Missouri, I've seen our student organization, Prism, table to give information about the LGBTQIA+ community. They've given out treats, pride gear and taken pictures. Their Instagram account is @ucmprism if you would like to look at other events they have done from a Coming Out Stories Panel to a Second Chance Dance to How to Be A Better Ally.

I was also one of the leaders of the student group when I was in undergrad at Arkansas Tech a few years ago. We ​did a panel called Straight Talk About Gay Stuff in my early years and using my broadcast journalism skills, we eventually transformed it into a documentary film showing with volunteers from the group telling their stories on screen followed by a Q&A made up of the students featured in the film. One of my favorite memories was when an international student stood up thanking everyone for being so brave to tell their stories because in her country that wouldn't happen. We also did a photo booth with a door and chalkboard saying, "I came out as...," at one point which was a hit. Last thing we did one of my years was a historical timeline of the LGBTQIA+ community since October is also LGBTQIA+ History Month. We had bulletin boards on wheels to display the timeline and people were able to pin what their identity was in one of the sections. These events always helped promote the annual drag show that happens late October/early November​ too. Their Instagram is @spectrum_atu and although the Facebook account isn't active, it still exists and has photo albums and old events/descriptions available for viewing @ATUSPECTRUM

I hope these ideas help as you plan! ​

Caleb Eubanks (he/him/his)
    Union Marketing & Communication Manager
    University of Central Missouri
    eubanks@ucmo.edu

• 7.  RE: Seeking Ideas for Celebrating Coming Out Day

Posted 07-07-2022 13:48
    Wow Caleb, those are some really, really great programs. I appreciate your sharing these ideas. I hope we can come close to your success. 
    Kathy

Kathleen Leeper
    Youngstown OH

• 8.  RE: Seeking Ideas for Celebrating Coming Out Day

Posted 12-15-2022 12:53
    Something one of our student groups did was to  borrow a freestanding door frame from our drama department and put it out with their LGBT student group tabling.  Students loved the opportunity to take pictures "coming out of the closet" for their social media.  I thought it was very clever.

Jacob Mendel
    Assistant Director, Georgetown Event Management Services
    Georgetown University
    Washington DC