ACUI Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Public Access To Buildings

Posted 06-29-2022 09:40

This question is for campuses that are intertwined with the surrounding community and do not have a limited number of access points to campus.  

Our Police Department is reviewing security options for our campus in regards to active shooter and other potential violent situations appear to be on the rise.  One idea in looking at preventative measures for an attack is looking at limiting access to certain buildings on campus.  With any plan to restrict access to the general public, the issue of access to public events arises.  We are trying to help gather information regarding the following 3 points;
    1. Does your university keep your buildings unlocked?  If no, is it just specific types of buildings i.e. union/dining, academic classroom buildings, etc.?
    2. Does your university limit the number of unlocked access points to buildings and keep others locked or on a card swipe system?
    3. Does your university require visitors to check in at a security station or have the event sponsor greet people as they enter the building?

Any information about your campus would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Scott

------------------------------
    Scott Garrison
    Facilities Reservations Manager
    Salisbury University
    sagarrison@salisbury.edu

• 2.  RE: Public Access To Buildings

Posted 06-29-2022 19:26
    I can only speak for the union building, as my jurisdiction doesn't go beyond here. We have a myriad of entryways. We do sometimes lock up the lesser used doors on a rare occasion in an effort to restrict access or ensure people use the main access points. However, most times everything is unlocked during business hours.

Being a state school, there is no registration process for accessing campus that I know of. There are obviously parking restrictions in certain areas at certain times of the day.

Interestingly enough, I just registered for an active shooter awareness training being offered by our campus PD in early August. Perhaps I will have more insights after that about campus wide protocols that PD uses.

Paul Edelstein
    Louisiana State University
    Baton Rouge LA