College Union Engagement Study

5 Replies

College Union Engagement Study

Posted by Veronica Perondi on May 30, 2019 11:01 am

Hello friends,

I have been trying to establish an assessment program for the student leaders in the programming board I advise, and my department has been trying to develop a good student employment assessment model as well. We had plateaued after creating a student employee customer service model, and struggled to build solid SLOs. After sitting through the 3 presentations at the ACUI National Conference by Danielle DeSawal, I was inspired and wanted to learn more about the study on the Union's Relationship to Student Learning and Engagement. Did anyone else attend those sessions?
I have reached out to Danielle and and waiting to hear back on how I can access the full study findings and also look into how we can apply the findings at my institution.

Does anyone currently have a student leader assessment program that they have had success in implementing?
  • Bookmark

Re: College Union Engagement Study

Posted by Mary Branton-Housley on May 31, 2019 11:57 am

Hi Veronica,
It has been several years since I saw the presentation, but Dr. Corey Seemiller is another person who has done research and work implementing leadership assessment at University of Arizona. She has a book based on her work: The Student Leadership Competencies Guidebook: Designing Intentional Leadership Learning and Development.
Mary

Re: College Union Engagement Study

Posted by Veronica Perondi on May 31, 2019 12:43 pm

Thank you! I haven't heard of that book but will look into it. I appreciate the recommendation.

Re: College Union Engagement Study

Posted by Lanita Legan on Jun 3, 2019 11:03 am

Veronica,

We have been a long time partner with Skyfactor (formerly EBI) and use their Student Employment Survey as a base for our assessment with student employees.  It offers a great deal of information and is connected to CAS standards as well as offering institution specific questions.

Lanita

Re: College Union Engagement Study

Posted by Veronica Perondi on Jun 3, 2019 11:10 am

That is really good to know! I will share that with my Director.

Have you had success with implementing it?

Re: College Union Engagement Study

Posted by Jenn Cook on Jun 11, 2019 4:55 pm

Hi Veronica,

I have used a rubrics method which has recently been expanded to our full Associated Students staff and is now being implemented in our campus' student employment program. I am happy to share what we've done so far if you want to chat via email or over the phone! And/Or do you plan to attend the joint conference in November for Region I and IV and we could meet in person?

Jenn