Prepping for Student Staff Training

7 Replies

Prepping for Student Staff Training

Posted by Kiley Cinelli on Jun 10, 2019 9:39 am

Happy Monday!

My name is Kiley Cinelli and I am the new Community of Practie Leader for this community. Yakima Melton, returning Community of Practice Leader, and I are very excited for the year ahead. We would like to start by opening up a conversation about preparing for student staff training. We hope to host a webinar in the next few weeks.

To get things started, please feel free to share one topic area that you and your team are looking to rethink, revise, or improve.

Looking forward to working with each of you.
  • Bookmark

Re: Prepping for Student Staff Training

Posted by Giancarlo Brugnolo on Jun 11, 2019 8:55 am

Good morning Kiley!

I curious to know how others infuse intercultural proficiencies into their student staff trainings.

Thanks!

GC

Re: Prepping for Student Staff Training

Posted by Angel Flowers on Jun 12, 2019 8:54 am

Since I can't "like" or "retweet" GC's post, I would also love to hear how others are infusing/incorporating intercultural proficiency into student staff training.

Thanks in advance!

Re: Prepping for Student Staff Training

Posted by Andrea Giachino on Jun 13, 2019 9:53 am

How to keep training relevant and engaging for the returners who have seen some of this stuff 3-4 times over. We find there are only so many ways to cover policy/procedure.

Re: Prepping for Student Staff Training

Posted by Susan LeBow on Jun 14, 2019 8:30 am

For policies, I always like Policy Pictionary (write policy title on one side of note card and policy statement on the other - whoever guesses correctly needs to indicate what the policy is). We also take a page from Residential Living and do a "Behind Closed Doors" live action activity to act out common occurences. Debriefing to allow actors to first discuss what they did and what they might do differently and then let the viewers chime in (provide instructions on how to give feedback before letting them loose!).

Re: Prepping for Student Staff Training

Posted by Gregory Wilkins on Jun 14, 2019 8:39 am

I echo Susan's thoughts. Also, depending how large your team is you may consider Family Feud or Jeopardy style policy style game, and if you have the technology, do it have it where folks can answer with their Smartphones.

Re: Prepping for Student Staff Training

Posted by Jenn Cook on Jun 17, 2019 1:01 pm

I love the idea of Policy Pictionary! Borrowing that idea for club leader and staff training!

I have also started using Kahoot, to "piggyback" on Gregory. I was introduced to that platform at a regional conference (Portland Community College has an excellent example for LGBTQ+ education) and the students couldn't believe I hadn't heard of it, they use it all the time in the classroom apparently.

Jenn

Re: Prepping for Student Staff Training

Posted by Kiley Cinelli on Jun 25, 2019 10:15 am

Thanks all.

Andrea - I think we could dive into that subject a lot more!

Does anyone else have any areas that they would like to discuss regarding prepping for training?

We will be planning a virtual meeting for our COP in the next few weeks and are looking for additional topics to cover.